DrEss, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 5 years small animal medical and surgical experience. Over 12 years in vet med field.

If a dog has milk in its teats does that mean it is pregnant.

If a dog has milk in its teats does that mean it is pregnant. It escaped 6 weeks ago and was found with camp dogs in a community while it was on heat. It is a miniature XXXXX XXXXX and the camp dogs were all large mixed breeds mainly staffy x.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrEss replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,
The presence of milk in the mammary glands does not necessarily mean there is a pregnancy. Some dogs will go in to a false pregnancy where they will actually produce milk due to hormones but won't actually be pregnant.
Was the XXXXX XXXXX found 6 weeks ago? If so, and she did get pregnant by one of those dogs, there are some other signs that might be evident, like a larger abdomen, swollen vulva, and enlarged nipples. Just be advised that in false pregnancy, the vulva and nipples can swell as well.

Puppies are visible on x-ray at 45 days of gestation so I would recommend getting her to the vet to be checked out. If you have an x-ray done not only can you verify pregnancy, but you can count how many to expect.

Hope this information was helpful to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is dragging her butt on the ground, I don't think it is blocked anal glands because we expressed her some weeks ago, her vulva doesn't appear to be swollen. I am familiar with this being presented with pregnant dogs to groom. I'm pretty sure her owner worms her regularly so I don't think it is worms either. Her nipples don't appear to be distended but she has two full mammary sacs on the top two nipples, and pre-milk comes out of all nipples. She appears to have a huge appetite but I can't discern any swelling in her stomach.
Expert:  DrEss replied 7 years ago.
Well, you can wait two to three more weeks to see if she gives birth or you can visit the vet, which of course, I would recommend. Those are about your only options for finding out for sure what is going on with her. Gestation in a dog is 58-69 days with an average of about 63 days.