Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog is constipated what can I give him.

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Mooseman.

If your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be on a pro rata basis between the human dose on the product label and your dog's weight twice a day.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two teaspoons twice a day for an average sized dog.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider further tests such as X-ray to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your dog appears constipated.

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS