Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

What does it mean when a dog puts its paw on you while you

What does it mean when a dog puts its paw on you while you are petting them?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.

HICustomer

Dogs will repeat behaviors that work for them and get attention. It is possible that at one time his putting his paw on you got you to pet him, so he has learned that, that behavior will get him what he wants. Over time it may become habit since you are already petting him when he puts his paw on you.You may not have noticed it at the time , but a dog will always repeat what works for them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just got this dog from the shelter on Sunday and haven't had her very long. I am trying to learn the meaning of what she does. She seems really needy at this time and wants lots of petting. Otherwise she is very well behaved. Someone took the time to train her at one time.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 years ago.
Ah, congratulations! And thank you for taking her in, she is lucky to have found you. I suspect she learned it from former owners.