ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

my dog has a swollen pad on her foot

Customer Question

my dog has a swollen pad on her foot
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

Swollen pads can occur for many reasons. Some of the more common are cuts, infection, insect bite or sting, and interdigit cysts. Check in between the toes for anything out of the ordinary. You can than clean the feet with a pet safe antiseptic or saline solution. Child size cotton socks can be put over the foot (loosely) to provide some extra padding. Consider having her into your vet as these tend to need antibiotics. I hope she's doing better soon. -Robyn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there are no cuts or any thing i put neosporin on it it dont work she has all her shots. i need a better answer?
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. If this has been going for a few months, you'll need to have her to your vet to have the area examined. Sometimes broken bones, deep nail infections, growths etc, can cause tissue inflammation as you are describing. If you do not currently have a vet, consider contacting your local SPCA. These can refer you to a sliding scale clinic so that the testing can be done. I hope she's doing better soon and if you need any other information let me know. -Robyn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is the right hind foot its not by the toes . she has 4 in the front by the toes it is the larger one behind them.
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

If it's just the one pad, and it's been going on for a few months, it's likely an infection. Your vet may need to drain it and/or prescribe antibiotics (about $15). You'll want to keep the area padded and limit activity. Additionally, some autoimmune disorders can cause blood vessel issues in the paw. While these are less common than infection, they can and do occur. I hope she's feeling better soon. -Robyn