Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog has been hacking, choking, coughing  or something

My dog has been hacking, choking, coughing or something for 2 days. I took her to the vet but of course she wasn't doing it when the vet saw her. He gav her carafate to settler her stomach because I thought she was heaving. But after watching Youtube on Reverse Sneezing and Keenel cough now I am more confused than anything. She is 8 years old , She is a Norwegian Elkhound. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sorry to hear about your dog's problem.
It certainly sounds like it could be a upper respiratory infection, bronchitis (infection or allergic), pneumonia, or congestion due to heart disease. Even if the veterinarian didn't hear anything in the chest, all of these are considerations. If it has been persistent for 2 days or appears to be getting worse, I would strongly encourage a recheck examination and x-rays of the chest. Carafate is what I call the liquid bandaid. The tablets quickly dissolve and coat an ulcers (irritation) present within the esophagus or stomach. In essence, if there are no ulcers, that medication will do nothing to help this respiratory problem.
Hope that was informative.