Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

large lump on dogs left side. Behind jaw under ear about the

Customer Question

large lump on dogs left side. Behind jaw under ear about the size of a small baseball. It is solid, not liquid filled. She acts perfectly fine except of this thing on her. She lets you touch and manipulate, no whincing or crying out. Doesn't seem to bug her, even lays down on it. Just lost job and am taking her to the vet on friday but am I looking at a large charge for this? Also she is less than a year old and I just changed their food. I gave her a small dose of anti-inflamatory and benadryl to see if it would go down and no change.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about the lump.
I would strongly encourage that examination as soon as possible. It is an awkward area for a swelling to form, and I am bother by its size. Considerations for the cause would include a hypersensitivity reaction (insect bite), trauma, and a tumor.
In addition, if it palpates hard, then a cyst or seroma (inflammatory reaction that fills with liquid) are less likely.
Your treatment was ok, but I would not repeat the ibuprofen.
If this swelling grows any larger, you need that examination ASAP.
Your veterinarian may perform a test called a fine-needle aspirate. That is where they take a few needle samples from the swelling, spit them out on to slides, and submit them to the laboratory. It is usually done without sedation.
Let me know if i can be of any further assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would something like that appear overnight? I am a nurse and know about human things but have never seen this. I changed there food on monday night and it wasn't there. Tues they came in b.c it is really cold here and it was there. Already that size. She hasn't changed any habits ( actually she took off again tonight....like bassets are good for) I don't think it has changed any but there necks have so much extra skin its hard to tell.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
You bet...A seroma (again would be liquid filled), a reaction could easily appear that fast. If the swelling is close to under the jaw, it could also represent an enlarged lymph node.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought it was possibly a lymph node issue but wasn't sure. We don't have a new vet b/c we just moved to a new town. She just saw the vet 2 months ago b/4 we moved and everything was perfect with her. She is caught up on her shots and I thought I was good b/c we've always made sure we had money for the vet but I wasn't expecting this. I looked at it much closer now and it is about the size of a small orange.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Definitely will need some form of biopsy or the fine-needle aspirate test I referred to previously.