Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

my puppy (10 monthss old) just ingested Theraflu - 650mg of

Customer Question

my puppy (10 monthss old) just ingested Theraflu - 650mg of tylenol, 25mg of diphenhydramine and 10 mg of phenylephrine. She is a lab/cur mix weighing approximatemly 4o pounds
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
HI there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How long ago did this happen?

Does the pup have any health problems that you are aware of?

Is the pup on any other meds?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 20 minutes ago. she has no health problems and is current on all physicals, shots and heartworm meds. she's on no other meds
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Do you have hydrogen peroxide in the house (3%)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Ok - it would be best to get this OUT of the pup!!

To make him vomit, you could take your dog to a veterinarian immediately as this is the safest possible option. If this is absolutely impossible, you could attempt it at home, but know that there is some small risk of aspiration of vomitus.

You can make your dog vomit by using 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Give 2 teaspoons per 10lbs body weight. If your pup weighs 40lbs, that would be 8 teaspoons, or about 2.5 tablespoons.

Tip his nose to the ceiling and pour it down his throat with a shot glass, or a turkey baster. To do this, hold the dog between your knees with you kneeling on the floor. Have the dog face away from you. Point the nose to the ceiling, open the mouth and quickly pour the FULL dose into the back of the mouth.

You can repeat in 10 minutes if he has not vomited yet.

More here:

I find the shot glass method to be the most effective!

If you are not able to give it by mouth as described above, you can use the following method:
1. Feed a small meal or slice of bread first - they are more likely to vomit with some food in the stomach.
2. Dogs will often drink peroxide if you mix it 50:50 with milk or ice cream, and it is just as effective.
3. Dogs are more likely to vomit after getting hydrogen peroxide if they move around - play ball, go for a walk, run up and down stairs - as this heightens the fizzing.
4. Always check the expiration date of the peroxide. If it is old it doesn't fizz very well!

Let me know what happens!

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Any vomiting?

Do let me know and we can talk about what to do next!!

Fiona :-)
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Oh, I am SO glad to hear that she vomited!! :-) GREAT!!

After making your dog vomit, it may be useful to give activated charcoal since she got a serious overdose of the tylenol and the phenylephrine. The phenylephrine is a worry because this is a large overdose. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high blood pressure, seizures cardiac abnormalities and even bleeding into the brain if untreated.

So, I am VERY glad you got it out... but it would be best to give activated charcoal to bind up any that remains in her body.   

In Canada you can buy activated charcoal in the local pharmacy and I expect you can in the USA as well. It is widely used in human and veterinary medicine to bind up any toxins that have been ingested. The dosage for activated charcoal (all forms whether capsule or suspension) is 1-3 grams per kilogram of body weight.

So, that would be about 20 to 60grams in your dog.

Here are some links about activated charcoal:

To give it, you could mix the product in a little bit of human baby food (check the ingredients to be sure there are no onions or garlic), or with some cooked white rice, 50:50. Most dogs eat it readily even though it looks disgusting to us.

If she shows any signs of excitement, muscle tremours, or further vomiting or diarrhea then you should definitely see an emergency veterinarian tonight.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we're calling the pharmacy now to see if they have the activated charcoal
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.

I really hope they do!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They don't. We called the emergency vet and he thinks we should be ok since she vomited until she had dry heaves. We'll call him if there are further s/s. so far so good. Thanks again so much. Thank God for people like you!Laughing
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Oh, you are so welcome! Glad I could help! :-)

I'm so glad that you sought help, and that you acted so quickly to get it out of her. PHEW!

Best wishes to you both!