Dr.Dennis, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ yrs vet med exp; owner of hospital; gen med, prevention, kidney dz, obesity, pain, anesthesia

I have a Bichon Frise that likes eating steak bones. Is this healthy for him

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 7 years ago via ThePetCenter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Dennis replied 7 years ago.
Does he like to chew on the bones or does he actually EAT the bones? Chewing may be fine, BUT with a small dog like yours, the steak bone may be hard enough to chip/crack his teeth if he is an aggressive chewer. I he actually breaks the bones apart and eats/ingests the fragments, I would be concerned about stomach or intestinal obstruction ...then all of a sudden your dog's nice treat becomes a $3000 surgery to remove a foreign body!

My preference is with synthetic chew toys. In particular, I like Kong toys and toys made from a material called zogoflex. They are indestructable, but are soft enough not to break any teeth. Some are designed so that you can "load" them with treats or peanut butter. Just avoid the really hard synthetic bones made from nylon. They are hard enough to break teeth.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He actually eats them and today he threw up several pieces of the bone.
Expert:  Dr.Dennis replied 7 years ago.
In that case, my concerns are two-fold:
1) Are there more pieces of bone in the stomach or intestines that could cause an obstruction?
2) Are there and sharp pieces of bone in the stomach or intestine that could cut or rip thorugh the wall of the gastrointestinal tract, leading to other problems?

There is always a chance that the worst is over, but the only way to be safe and know for sure is to bring him to your veterinarian and have Xrays taken.