NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

pups: She started whining a lots last night...and down off the bed

Customer Question

My datsun dog is " I think" in the process of having her first pups. She started whining a lots last night. She was up and down off the bed all night. Today she is still "very" whiney. I have not seen any signs of pushing or straing, but she paws at her bed a lot and is very ittatable with our other dogs in the house. Today is day 62. Her pups are by a maltease (wow). I am worried something is wrong. I don't have the money to have surgery on her, and I don't want to lose my Shasta. If for some reason there was a puppy turned wrong, would she be acting different than she is now?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Potentially she might be in labor and have a pup turned wrong or too large to deliver.

Or she might just be doing the nesting they do before going into labor.

If you can feel any rippling in her sides when you lay a hand along her abdomen, if she vomits, or if she pants as if warm without her really being hot those would be labor signs. (The vomit is because the push impacts both directions.)

Dogs are pregnant for about 58-65 days, or about 9 weeks counting from the first mating.

You can read more about pregnancy and whelping in dogs here
This site goes over signs your dog is pregnant
If you need help with financing vet care you might check out Care Credit
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget." They have a zero interest program if you pay within a certain time frame and they list the vets who work with their product.
These sites go over the whelping process including pictures and how to tell when something is wrong

Hope this helps you!