Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog has been panting, has heavy breathing, vomiting (thick

Customer Question

My dog has been panting, has heavy breathing, vomiting (thick white substance), hunches back and puts back legs together, loss of appetite, cannot get comfortable, and sometimes whines. She was put on antibiotics ( 2 different types) and are not working. This has been going on for about 5 days now. The vets we took her to say they don't know what is going on. They said it is some type of infection in her stomach or intestine, then they said it could be in her bladder or kidneys. They have not taken any x-rays or anything. I do not think she is getting the proper care and I am worried. Do you have any ideas of what this could be? What do these symptoms relate to?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear how your pet is doing.
I would strongly recommend taking her immediately to a second veterinarian for another opinion. I would encourage the following tests:
Blood test (CBC/Chemistry), X-rays of the abdomen (belly).
I would encourage hospitalization with intravenous fluid support for perhaps a day or two until a tentative diagnosis can be made.
The spectrum of symptoms you have listed suggests to many differentials (causes) for what is potentially going on. However, gastroenteritis, and more importantly, pancreatitis, can be very painful and would manifest with these symptoms. In addition, an abdominal ultrasound would likely be a great idea also for a more thorough understanding of what is going on in the belly after the blood and x-rays are completed. I hope that was helpful.

I wish the best for both you and your pet. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Good Luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What exactly is gastroenteritis and pacreatitis? How does an animal get it? My dog is 9 years old, can this be life threatening? What kind of treatment is needed to help her if that is her diagnosis?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Gastroenteritis means inflammation in the stomach and intestines. Usually symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea. More importantly, it is not really the diagnosis. The diagnosis is what caused the problem. For example, dietary indiscretion (eating something they should not have), foreign body in the stomach, parasites...
Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreatic gland. The pancreas releases enzymes that help to digest our food. When you get pancreatitis, the enzymes get activated but they are still in the pancreatitis. Very painful, very inflammatory, and persistent vomiting. Both conditions, especially pancreatitis, require hospitalization on intravenous fluids for support because you cannot give anything orally until their digestive tract calms down. Additional treatment includes anti-vomiting medication, antacids, gastric ulceration protectants (Sucralfate), antibiotics.
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In my first question I said that my dog has not been eating, but she has been having these symptoms for 4-5 days and today is the first day she has not eaten. She is not having diarrhea just vomiting. When she gets up to walk around she huches her back over and clinches her legs together. I called around to some vet hospitals and they charge too much for my budget for xrays and untrasound. When I took her to the vet they told me she had high creatine levels in her blood, what does that mean? is there anythign I can do to help her. She seems to be getting worse within just a couple of hours. Earlier today she was able to jump on the bed, but now she can't even put her paws up on the bed. I am desperate for help. This is our family dog and we don't want to lose her.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
The creatinine level being elevated is too difficult for me to assess without the BUN. It is a level that assesses kidney function. Only vomiting still suggests gastritis, and her declining condition really needs veterinary attention. You can call local shelters or ASPCA to see if they can offer any financial support. I am concerned that the hunched back suggests abdominal (belly) pain.
I do not have any advice at this time for at home care. Try to start with belly x-rays only and perhaps some medications/injections to treat the discomfort. Hospitalization would be best.
Some hospitals also offer payment pland and CareCredit. CareCredit is a low to no interest credit card designed only for pet services.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I cannot get financial support is there anything we can get that will provide her with the nutrients she needs.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, no.
Due to the vomiting and breathing, I would not encourage any force-feeding. At the
minimum, an assessment by a vet is really important at this time to ensure she isn't suffering.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would water be ok to give her if she will take it
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely, but if it induces vomiting, you must withhold the water as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much you have been really helpful!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. I wish the best for you and your pet. Positive feedback would be truly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I need to get on this site again is there anyway I can ask for you?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Write
DrAndy at the beginning of the question, and I will keep an eye out...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok thank you