Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

My dogs have a snotty discharge in there eyes,what is this

Customer Question

My dogs have a snotty discharge in there eyes,what is this??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 7 years ago.

Hello AmyEP1986,

Could I get more information?

How many dogs are affected?

Are their inner eyelids red or irritated looking?

Are they squinting or rubbing at their eyes?

Are they displaying any other symptoms?

Are their eyes watery and tearing as well - or they just have a glob of snotty goo in them?

Is the goo usually just in the corner of their eye closest to the nose?

Donna P.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Both my dogs are infected,Both same age and breed,One male one female.There inner eyelids are red and irritated but it doesnt seem to be be painfull in any way.No rubbing of eyes or squinting.They just have constant snotty goo just in the corners,no tearing or watering.Stella the females eyes are worse than rufus eyes.Allot more irritated and red looking.
Expert:  Donna P. replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

This sounds like conjunctivitis - which is just inflammation of the inner eyelid tissues. There are lots of things that can cause it. Allergies, irritants and infections are all possible. Since both dogs are affected - irritants and infections are most likely. You can try purchasing an eye wash solution and artificial tears ointment from a drugstore. Just don't buy anything medicated - just plain wash solution and lubricant. You can rinse their eyes out really well with the wash solution and then apply the artificial tears ointment. This can make the eyes at least feel more comfortable. Apply the ointment several times a day and wash once daily. If there are some irritants or very mild infection this may help considerably. If there is a more severe infection you will have to bring into the vet for antibiotic ointments and possible oral antibiotics. If your dogs begin rubbing their face or squinting - I would take in soon as these are signs of pain and more serious problems.

If they eyes begin looking less red and irritated - but they still have a glob of goo in their eyes (no more than once a day) that is clear and thick - but doesn't look like pus or infected - it could just be something that accumulates in the recess in the corner of their eye. The way some dogs skulls and eye sockets are shaped causes a recess in the corner of the eye. This often will fill with excess tears and mucous from the normal eye drainage. Once this little recess fills up - the whole glob will be pushed out of the little recess into the corner of the eye. This will not be associated with any redness or irritation of the eye.

If you need more information just reply to your question.

Donna P.

________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT________________

thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Donna P. replied 7 years ago.

You're welcome.

Donna P.