Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
1298761

are halls cough drops poisonous to dogs

are halls cough drops poisonous to dogs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Cough drops often contain a chemical flavoring called "menthol"...this is in part responsible for the "refreshing" sensation you feel when dissolving a cough drop in your mouth.

Menthol, however, is toxic in high doses...causing problems with increased heart rate, shallow breathing, brain poisoning and kidney damage.

Since your pet is elderly and small in size, please do call your nearest Veterinary Emergency Service for in-person assistance to correct any overdose/poisoning that may have taken place.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply", otherwise I thank you in advance for your "Accept", and will hold a Good Thought for you.