Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have just bought a papillon, and she has real bad breath.

Customer Question

I have just bought a papillon, and she has real bad breath. We are feeding her pedigree dog food, she is two years old. I have wormed her but her breath is still real bad. Can you help?ThankyouL
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 years ago.
Hi Laurarose,
What do her teeth and gums look like, especially the teeth toward the back of her mouth? The most common reason for bad breath is tartar buildup on the teeth, and small breeds seem to have more of a problem than large ones. Tartar buildup can lead to gum inflammation and infection (gingivitis), and gingivitis can lead to heart disease, arthritis, kidney disease, and diabetes.

You should get her mouth examined by a veterinarian to judge the health of her teeth and gums. She should be chewing on some dental treats on a regular basis, to help prevent tartar buildup. If her teeth and gums are very clean, then another cause for the bad breath should be looked for. I once saw a dog with reported bad breath, that I couldn't even smell, but the owner was so convinced that something was wrong, I sedated the dog to look into its mouth, and found a piece of a bone stuck underneath one of the tonsils. I never could have seen it without sedating her, and by listening to the owner that something in the mouth smelled bad to her.

You should get her checked as soon as oonvenient. Hope this helps, Rebecca