Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my dog is straining to poop. It does usually come out, but

Customer Question

my dog is straining to poop. It does usually come out, but not the normal amount and it is not really loose but not hard either. I took him to the vet and they gave him an enema. He pooped immediately but is still having the issue
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Donna.

In direct answer to your question : You may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's straining, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be on a pro rata basis between the human dose on the product label and your dog's weight.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. In your case you could try two teaspoons twice a day.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider further tests such as X-ray to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your dog keeps straining.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS