LouA, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs experience in vet medicine, special interest in Sighthounds, successful Agility competitor

I think my puppys ear cartilage was damaged from rough housing.

Customer Question

I think my puppy's ear cartilage was damaged from rough housing. It isn't firm like the other ear and won't lay right. It keeps folding in and now it seems to be healing like that after a few days. Is there any way I can fix this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LouA replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry your puppy is having problems. Could you please tell me how old your puppy is? Thanks for providing this additional information. It will help me to answer your question more completely.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is about 6 months and 2 weeks. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  LouA replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
The first thing you need to check is to look as deeply into the ear canal as possible. If you see any discharge or excess wax accumulation or smell anything bad, you should have your veterinarian examine your puppy and prescribe the appropriate medication(s).
Sometimes with young dogs their ear flaps will do really funky things and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. This 'usually' happens with dogs a bit younger than your own but it is still possible that she is just going through one of those stages. I find with puppies less than 6 months old that when they are either teething or having a growth spurt, the carriage of their ears may change weekly (even daily). This is just a normal growing change and their ear flaps have usually settled down to how they will appear as an adult by 9 months of age or so.
If neither you nor your veterinarian can find anything pathologically wrong the ears, then it is most likely a normal growing change for your puppy. However, you don't have to accept it. If everything checks out well, you can visit this website ...
It will give you some hints on how to tape the ear flaps so that you can assist them into laying in a more aesthetically pleasing manner to yourself.
I hope things work out well for you and your pup!!