Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

Please let us know how to stop the bleeding in a large tumor

Customer Question

Please let us know how to stop the bleeding in a large tumor our dog has....She has mast cell disease...not cancerous.....but the bleeding is profuse and won't stop......she is getting weak.....can you please help us
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Can you tell me:
1 Where she is bleeding from? Bowel, vomiting blood, direct from the skin tumour?
2. For how long has she been bleeding?
3. Where are (is) the mast cell tumour(s)?
Peter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much for your caring response....Customer is bleeding directly from the tumor which is on her left hind leg. It is about the size of a tangerine......She has been bleeding for the last 48 hrs. It is an large open sore . She has other tumors, much smaller but do not seem to be a problem. She is eating and resting comfortably and we bandage the tumor about 3 times a day.

Blessings to you for your help.

Lynn and Skip

Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.

Hi Lynn & Skip
The best option is to excise the tumour. This needs to be a wide excision as mast cell tumours spread sideways and surrounding tissue that may look normal could well contain tumour cells. There may be some reason why you have not had this done. Possibility cost, possibly size of tumour.
The continual bleeding is most likely caused by mast cell degranulation. This occurs when the cells within the tumour break down and release componds like heparin that prevent the blood from clotting. The bleeding can occur locally (at the site of the tumour) or elsewhere. Mast cells are inflammatory cells that are largely responsible for causing inflammation at the site of foreign insult to the body. When they disrupt like this they can cause quite a bad reaction.
The reason you were prescribed antihistamines is that histamines are part of what is being released and causing the reaction. However the bleeding is primarily caused by the release of heparin from the degranulating cells. Antihistamines will not have an effect on this. The drug of choice is protamine sulfate which is a heparin antagonist. Cortisone may be of some benefit. You should discuss this with your vet
Bandaging the leg is a short tem fix.
I hope I've helped here. Please contact me back if I can assist further.
Good luck, Peter
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

God Bless you Dr. Pete.

I will share this with Skip....It has helped alot.......We want the BEST answer to this and your help opened up some real wisdom and direction.

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS.

I hope you got the payment I authorized.

Lynn and Skip

Merry Christmas by the way!

I will stay in touch as we journey through this problem. Customersay's Thank You too :)

Lynn

Expert:  Dr Pete replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Lynn
Good luck and keep me informed.
Peter