Dr. Chad
Dr. Chad, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian since 1989 and over 80% of my patients are dogs

I have a miniature pinscher. He is 10 years old. He has been

I have a miniature pinscher. He is 10 years old. He has been getting sick more and more often. Took him to vet first time but i was told he was probably constapated. i barely make enough money to keep the two of us fed and can't afford another 400.00 dollar bill. anyway - his symptoms are; vomiting diarrha lethergy can't get on couch when sick he won't eat extended abdomen that is very firm at upper regions of bck on both sides of spine about 3 inches from tail drinks a lot of water
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 7 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Unfortunately when they get his age there can be a lot of causes of his symptoms. With a $400 bill I assume bloodwork was done and was normal? If that was done 3 months ago, repeating bloodwork may show some changes at this point. Changing the diet is good to try, but now after 3 months of being sick more testing needs to be done. With his signs and assuming previous bloodwork was normal, I would be worried about liver disease, kidney disease, or possibly heart disease. Other things are possible. The best money spent would be to repeat bloodwork and see where that leads. Good luck!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Blood work was not done. That was an additional 165.00 and was offered only after the bill had already reached 400.00. He is not constantly sick but is becoming more regular with same symptoms each time. frequancy is abou every two weeks now

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess i should have put my reply in the form of question. your first answer basically said there are lots of things that can cause him to be sick. is there any info that will help you to help me to help ROWDY. that is my dogs name. I am recently divorced after 24 years of marriage. was an at home mom. i have nobody but my rowdy and no money for vet. the 15 dollars this cost me might as well have been 15 thousand. can you perhaps advise me on symptons to look for that might help me? Am late for work but am awaiting a reply. PLEASE respomd
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You for your lack of response. any reply is better than no reply. evan if your response was the same as original answer. I had no problem accepting so you would get paid. would evan have added more upon your response. learned my lesson for the day.
Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 7 years ago.
The most likely cause of your dog's clinical signs would be liver disease. Treatment for liver disease usually consists of antibiotics, diuretics for excessive fluid in belly and special diets for liver disease. There are prescription diets, but homemade diets can be beneficial also. I recommend a protein source such as chicken, turkey or egg ixed with a carbohydrate source such as rice, spaghetti noodles or potatoes. They should be fed in a 1 part protein to 2 parts carbohydrate ratio. Sorry I can't help you more. This is just a guess based on signs you are noticing. You obviously care a lot about Rowdy and I wish you both the best.