Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

Hi, My dog is a few months late on his Rabies booster. While

Customer Question

My dog is a few months late on his Rabies booster. While on his walk today off leash, he caught a squirrel heading up a tree. My dog caught the squirrel in his mouth and for about what seemed like 30 seconds, shook it etc. until I screamed and he let it go. I am not sure if the squirrel bit him or not. The dog has a tiny puncture wound on his snout, which looks like a claw sratch and not a bite. Most of my internet research shows that squirrels are not likely to have rabies but I know there must be a slight chance. My concern is not only for my dog, but for we humans that live in the house. I understand that it will take time to show up in my dog if he has rabies, but what is the risk to the family in the mean time. I do understand that if a dog with rabies bites a human, rabies can be contracted to that human but what about normal saliva contact? licking etc? Is it ok to go get the booster tomorrow? I am too nervous to shre this with my vet and would if the dog bit us.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

When was your dogs last Rabies booster?

How many has he had in his life?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, he was due in July 2008 ( I know, it is terrible that I am late-so lame!) so I believe that he had his previous one in July 2005? I can't be sure but can pull out some records if that will help. I got him in June of 2003 from our local shelter, where he has all vaccinations, so I THINK he has had 2 shots in the 4 years that I have had him with the recently missed booster due 7/08.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you waiting for me to reply? Just checking.

Dear Madeline,

Dont worry about this too much. His prior vaccine will protect him. However,, I. would take him in for a booster tomorrow.

Dont be afraid of what the vet will say. This happens all the time.

Do tell him what happened and dont worry!

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great news. I will definitely go tomorrow and get both dogs up to date :) I will try not to worry. Finding your website is great. I love it and will pass it on to friends. Thanks so much. Chris

Dear XXXXX,

You are very welcome.

It is my pleasure to help someone as nice as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.Sending as an I R so U R not charged again.

Best wishes,

Terri