Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My dog has glassy eyes, hes only 4 yrs old and seems to be

My dog has glassy eyes, he's only 4 yrs old and seems to be having problems seeing. The eyes are glassy with a greyish center. Any ideas?
Hi sdsarwalt,
For how long has your dog been having difficulty with his vision?
For how long have you noticed this grayness in the center?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
About 3 days for the grayness & the vision difficulty. The whole family noticed it on Friday.
Are the white parts of his eyeballs (the sclera) reddened, or blood-shot looking?
Is he blinking excessively, squinting, or rubbing at his face alot, like his eyes are bothering him?
Is there any discharge coming from his eyes? If so, what color is it?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We hadn't really looked at that because you can really only see the black part of his eye. After looking, the white parts are not only bloodshot they look grayish but only on the edge where it goes from black to white. (Hope this makes sense). There is no discharge.
Are the white parts grayish only....or are they grayish on the edge of the black area, and then also bloodshot all around?
Is he doing any of the other behaviors---squinting, blinking alot, rubbing at his face?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, grayish on the edge of the black area & bloodshot. I haven't noticed him rubbing or blinking, he has been squinting but that's not abnormal.
I am concerned by the combination of the grayness at the center of his eyes, the bloodshot whites of the eyes, and the vision problems. This suggests that he may be suffering from glaucoma. The grayness inside of the center of the eye that you are describing, could be due to cataracts (which I would be able to tell if I was examining him in person), or it could be due to a condition called anterior uveitis. Both of these conditions can lead to redness of the whites of the eyes, both can cause glaucoma, and both can be very painful.
Glaucoma is an ocular emergency, and I must recommend that you take your dog to see a veterinarian immediately. The vet can use an instrument called a Tonopen to measure the intraocular pressure and determine if your dog is having glaucoma or uveitis (with glaucoma the pressure would be high, and with uveitis it would be low). Both can be helped immediately with appropriate treatment.
Glaucoma and uveitis can both occur secondary to many different problems, and the vet will need to determine what the underlying cause is in order to get it to stop. If glaucoma is occurring, the best chance you have of saving your dog's vision, is to get immediate treatment to reduce the pressure.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K