Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Why do my dogs keep putting their paw on my arm when I pet

Why do my dogs keep putting their paw on my arm when I pet them? Sometimes they put their paw on like they are grabbing my arm to bring it closer while others they just set it there.

Dogs continue to do behaviors that reward them and this does not mean they get a food reward, but are rewarded by something you do, sometimes without knowing it. If the dog paws you and you pet her or talk to her that is a reward. In some cases even a negative gesture can be a reward for a dog. For example, a dog , especially a pup, may grab hold of an owners shirt and pull, the owner pushes the dog off, this is then seen as a game to the dog and he likes it so he repeats the behavior.