Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My female dog squats like she is going to urinate multiple

Customer Question

My female dog squats like she is going to urinate multiple times a day but does not urinate? She is a 6 month old Cockapoo and she has had these symptoms for the last couple of weeks. A urinalysis was done which showed some crystals and blood. She was treated for a urinary tract infection without relief of symptoms. Do you know why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jhorton,
If she did not improve with antibiotics, then either the problem is not due to an infection, or it was an infection, but the antibiotic chosen was not effective against the particular bacteria that was causing the infection. I would do two thing next: 1.)Take an xray, to be sure that the crystals in the urine have not formed into bladder stones, and 2.)do a urine culture. Once she is off antibiotics for a few days, culturing her urine will tell you for sure if it is due to an infection, and will also tell you the best antibiotics to get the bug that is causing the infection. Between the culture, and an Xray, you should get your answer.

In the meantime, you might try cranberry extract, available at health food stores. It can help lower the pH, and has some effect against infection and promoting a healthy bladder wall. However, it would be best to get a diagnosis, since a course of antibiotics has not helped. Good luck, Rebecca
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would bladder stones cause a dog to squat like she is going to urinate? Wouldn't she have pain? The vet thought that the RBCs in the urine may be from trying a cystotomy. She did not have any leukocytes or nitrates. Would the anal sac cause these symptoms?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 years ago.
No, anal sac disease doesn't usually make a dog squat, or have blood cells in the urine. Infected anal sacs, however, can be a source of an infection going up into the bladder, however. Bladder stones would indeed make a dog squat and urinate frequently, producing very little or no urine (the bladder feels full because of the stones, and it feels like she has to go, although there is no or little urine in the bladder). Bladder stones don't hurt like kidney stones do in people, but they are uncomfortable.

Your vet did a cystotomy (surgery on the bladder), or a cysticentesis (needle into the bladder to get a urine specimen? A cysticentesis could cause the presence of red blood cells in the urine. If there were no white blood cells seen under a microscope, then an infection is unlikely, and I would do the Xray next. Rebecca
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He attempted a cysticentesis. That makes sense. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow. How do they treat bladder stones? Is this unusual in a dog that is only 6 months and is it something that I could have caused?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 years ago.
It would be unusual in such a young dog, but it is also unusual for her to have the crystals at this age.

Bladder stones are treated by your cystotomy, or bladder surgery to remove the stones. The ultrasound breakdown of stones used in people is for kidney stones, not bladder stones. It is unlikely that anything you did caused this; some dogs just form crystals and stones, and we need to find out what to feed them to prevent the process from continuing. Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know. I was changing her diet because she has a 3 ear infections and generalized itching which I thought might be due to allergies. I switched her to a grain free but high protein diet so that may have contributed to her problems. I will change her diet. Thank you so much for your time and your answers. have a great day.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 years ago.
Thanks and good luck, Rebecca