Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author
1859647

My 8 year old dachshund has been snoring and wheezing at times

My 8 year old dachshund has been snoring and wheezing at times only when laying down and sleeping. It is not all the time but seems to be when he lays in a position with his chin is resting on the surface and his head is forward. He does not wheeze at all while awake. I would just like to know the possible causes. He is a bit overweight but not extemely.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 8 years ago.
Snoring typically occurs due to excessive soft pallate, which can be caused by, or at least made worse by, the patient being overweight - the soft pallate is essentially a fat pad, which tends to get bigger as the patient gets heavier. Did you ever notice that overweight people tend to snore worse than thin people? Same goes for dogs, fo the same reason.

Since this does not occur when your little one is awake, it is probably not a significant issue. However, if he is overweight, then getting weight off may decrease the problem (conversely, wieght increase may make it worse). It is a good idea to keep Dachshunds fit anyway, since being overweight predidposes them to back injury.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what about the wheezing sound? Is that the same as snoring?