LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

Mocha pet chesy/lab became sick after eating much turkey. trip

Customer Question

Mocha pet chesy/lab became sick after eating much turkey. trip to vet with x-rays and over night show blockage They adminstered enima and so far about 6 hours later no defication. how long should it take? Also she appears to have experienced pain in rear and fron legs. she had blood work can lyme disease be detected from this test. vets are not giving us answers. please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

Did she eat the bones and skin as well as turkey meat? Anything else (whatever holds the legs, etc.)? Is she home with you or hospitalized?

The skin has a lot of fat and eating a lot often causes pancreatitis.The primary signs are vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Did she have diarrhea before becoming blocked?

Treatment for vomiting is IV fluids if the dog is dehydrated, and withholding food and water until the vomiting has stopped for 12-24 hours. Small amounts of water are offered for the next 6 hours. If no vomiting occurs, small amounts of a bland diet (rice and chicken) is introduced slowly.

Enemas usually produce defecation within a short time (minutes) of being given if there is anything in the colon (last part of the intestines) to pass.The enema is not working if it was given 6 hours ago and there has been no effect. If your girl is blocked (bones?) or had a lot of diarrhea earlier, she may not have anything to pass. Surgery is needed to remove some blockages.

Lyme can be detected by blood work, but is not usually included in routine blood work for vomiting. A complete blood count and blood chemistry screen are the most common tests for vomiting dogs. Dogs with sudden pain in legs caused by Lyme usually have a fever. This is generally checked at the vet's office.

Pain in all legs does not sound like it is related to the turkey unless she has a very painful abdomen and it hurts to move.

Let me know if this helped and if you have follow up questions.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Our girl didn't eat any bones just turkey meat and skin. She is in the vet hospital for observation. No vomiting or diarrhea, no diarrhea before being blocked. Read up on lyme disease, her joints hind legs and one front seem to pain her. normal temperature. Doesn't seem to have abdomenal pain. vet pressed on belly no reaction.
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like it would be reasonable to test her for Lyme. Many vets use an in office Snap test. Some test for Anaplasmosis and Ehrlichia as well as heartworm in addition to Lyme. The first two are also carried by ticks and can cause similar signs as Lyme.

Constipation usually responds to time. IV fluids can be used to keep or make the ingested material soft. Repeated enemas are useful particularly if the blockage is in the colon where the fluid can reach it. Drugs that stimulate defecation (Dulcolax = bisacodyl) need to be used with caution in blockages to avoid damage to the intestines. Wait and watch (observation) is often the best option although hard on the owners who wait and worry.