Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

What is a safe household anti-inflammatory for dogs My dog

What is a safe household anti-inflammatory for dogs? My dog (min pin) was injured on our ranch today (not sure how) she has a scrape and a small puncture wound on her left flank. She came home with what looked like horse manure on her back and side. She is favoring the rear leg by the injury. I'm sure it's not broken but she is in pain. Can I give her ibuprofen or some other household pain medication to help her thru the night (until I can take her to the vet tomorrow)?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.

You should NEVER give a dog tylenol, ibuprofen, tylenol or aleve as these can all be toxic to dogs and cause kidney damage as well.

About the only safe over the counter medication for pain would be buffered aspirin. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.

Be sure to wash the wounds with anti-bacterial soap, disinfect with hydrogen peroxide and apply an antibiotic ointment or neosporin to the wounds.

I hope this information is helpful to you.