Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has had diarrhea for 3 days. She is eaitng and drinking

My dog has had diarrhea for 3 days. She is eaitng and drinking o.k. and her activitie level seems to be normal. Can I give her anything ?

Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection.   If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate at 1 teaspoon per 5 pound every 2 - 6 hours or Immodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice. If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. Here are sites on worms, coccidia and giardia, which you may find informative.

I hope this information is helpful to you.