ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

my yorkies ear smelled so i checked it out to find that it

my yorkie's ear smelled so i checked it out to find that it was practically swollen shut and covered with a crusty film.. i used neosporin on a q-tip to swab the area and found a brown ick inside.. i cleaned it out and reapplied the neosporin..my question is what is wrong with my puppy love? he was just at the groomer 8 days ago and she didn't say anything was wrong with his ears...?

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It's fairly rare for a dog to have ear mites, but they do often have bacterial or yeast infections in their ears.

I would definitely clean the ears by using an ear cleaner specifically made for dogs, available from any pet supply store or online catalog or vet. Make sure the canal is filled, then massage the base of the ear well, then allow your dog to shake the excess debris out. Wipe the exterior gunk off. Wash the ears daily, but gently, since it is so swollen.

You are eventually going to need an antibiotic or anti-fungal from the vet, depending on what the culprit is causing this. The vet will put a sample under the microscope to determine this. The day of your vet exam, don't clean the ears that morning, so some debris will be built up for a good sample.

Until then, continue cleaning daily and do your best to discourage scratching and further irritating the ears. I've included a link here (scroll down) to see how to properly clean the ears in case needed:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1591&articleid=273

Do not continue to use neosporin in the ear. It will not help this, nor is it formulated for safe use in dog ears.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can help further.

Christine