Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My dog has swollen ears and the left side of his face is swollen.

My dog has swollen ears and the left side of his face is swollen. I don't know if he got stung by something or it is an allergy. His ears are so swollen that one of them is oozing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Is the discharge coming out of the ear canal?

Look closely to see if there is any bite marks, sting wounds or injury?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The swelling is not inside the ear canal. It is in the floppy part of both ears, his right lip, jaw and extends up around his right eye. I cannot see anything that looks like a bite. His right ear is weeping at the bottom of the floppy tip of his ear. His nose is warm and he seems warm to the touch.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

I am concerned about why the tip is giving off discharge. If there has been no injury then something must have bitten or stung him and that is causing the reaction. Is the Benadryl working yet? If not it may be better to go ahead and get him in tonight rather then take a chance.

If there is no vet or emergency vet open in the area then you will want to do supportive care until he can be seen. You can use warm compresses on the ear to help encourage draining. Make sure you clean it well and dry it in between the compresses.

You can use cool compresses on the jaw and face to help with swelling. You can continue with the Benadryl as well. Be sure to use only the plain Benadryl formula. Giving Benadryl with other combination of meds could be fatal, so be sure to read the box.

Liquid Benadryl is too high in alcohol content to be safely used for animals. Please use capsule or pill form. Here is a link with dosage instructions:

Make sure you get him in as soon as a vet or emergency vet in your area is open.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am unable to get him to a vet because they are all closed in this area over the weekend. I have been doing some more checking on line and the consensus is that as long as he is not having trouble breathing and the condition is not worsening that I should just continue to monitor it. I have tried cold compresses on the swelling but he doesn't like that much. I had already given him benedryl before I contacted you. I just was trying to find an answer as to what is causing this. Can you offer any clues to the cause?
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

The most likely cause is a bite or a sting of some type. While a allergic reaction could be the cause it is less likely due to the drainage. There is also the possibility and very likely that he may have scraped it at some point over the last few days and it has become infected thus causing the drainage and the swelling.