Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

my 10 week old puppy is vomiting, wont eat, will barely drink

my 10 week old puppy is vomiting, won't eat, will barely drink water and is lethargic. my vet won't be available until next Friday. She's also sneezing so I think she has a cold. Is this an emergency?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

How long has this been going on?

Any change in her diet? (Are you feeding the same as the breeder)

Any change in her stools?

Are vaccinations up to date?

When you say she is lethargic how lethargic is she?

• Will she get up to play?
  • Will she get up for a snack?
  • Will she get up to investigate someone knocking at the door?

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Walter. Thanks for answering my question. She started having diarrhea yesterday. She had it 3 times. No stool at all today. I don't know what the breeder fed her b/c I recently found out (upon calling) that the people we got her from, are not breeders but they sell puppies for breeders. They manufacture their own puppy food(the second hand breeder), so we had to purchase their food. She refused to eat their food ever since we brought her home last Saturday night. So, we tried to give her other foods such as Hills Science diet and she wouldn't even taste it. We then got her ceasar's puppy cuisine and she ate that very well. She has refused to eat any other food other than that, and now she won't even eat that. She was supposed to have come vaccinated and wormed. She had blood in her stool on Monday and it turned out she had worms. So the vet took care of that for us and gave her 500cc of fluids w/glucose. She will not get up to play, nor for a snack. She will not investigate someone knocking at the door. She will just come next to you and lay down and sleep. She's starting to shake as well. Thanks for any help you can give!
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information, anytime your dog is lethargic it is highly recommend to have her examined by her vet. Lethargic behavior is a very serious issue, due to the fact that a dog can be very very ill and still have energy. When a dog is lethargic that is a indication that the dog is very sick.

The parasites is the likely cause of this, but the problem is the wormer should not be making her this sick. I suspect that she is having a reaction to the wormer which can be very dangerous.

My recommendation is if she is lethargic to see her vet or get her to a emergency vet tonight.

If she is getting up and playing some that is good......she may simply be tired. But if she is unwilling to get up and go to the bathroom, eat, or play then it is time for a vet examination.

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wouldn't she have had a reaction to the wormer sooner than this, since that was Monday?
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Different wormer's can cause different reactions, sometimes delayed reactions. It may also be something else that is causing the problem. I am concerned that the breeder did the vaccinations....sadly some breeders are dishonest on this and claim that vaccinations have been given when they have not.

It could also be a allergic reaction to something else, though i would bank on it either being a reaction to the wormer or something more serious like Parvo or Distemper.

Walter