Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My pug is licking and biting his paws

My dog has just started licking and biting his paws and he has successfully licked the hair off his front paws. I thought it may be a nervous condition of his. I put some peppermint oil on his paws but it only upset his stomach. I don't know what to do to stop him. Last night he started on his back feet. I take him to the park daily where he runs and plays with other dogs and thought that the excessive running may have irritated his paws. Do you have any suggestions
Submitted: 7 years ago via ThePetCenter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Sharonie,

It may be that your dog is having an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws. Thyroid problems can also cause paw problems as well. It’s possible your dog has developed a secondary staph or yeast problem. If yeast you can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition.

You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them. You can also give your dog some Benadryl. The dosage is up to 2 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Start with 1 mg per pound first and see if it doesn’t help the situation and provide your dog with some relief.

Here is a site on dog allergies

Excessive running would not cause what you are seeing. Though he may have been exposed to something he is allergic to at the park. I hope this information is helpful to you.