Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog cries consistantly after eating. Her stomach makes

My dog cries consistantly after eating. Her stomach makes a lot of noises after as well. On occasion, if she eats after 5pm she will salivate perfusely and lick either her arms and legs, the bedcovers or the floors carpet. I purchase holistic foods. She was eating Avoderm's lite foods and recently I purchase Natural Choice's sensitive stomach dog food. I am afraid to feed her anymore because she now cries all day long.

Has she always cried or has this only started recently?
How old is she?
Did she cry on the old food?
How often is she fed?
Does she ever vomit up a yellowish fluid?
Does she have any skin issues?
Has she ever been on antibiotics?
Does she have diarrhea or constipation on a regular basis?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would say she has been more verbal the last month, it has only been a few days since she was switched to a sensitve for stomach dog food. She has one large tumor behind her one leg in front and a few smaller ones near her ribs. I switched to a natural dog food back in March of this year. She has never vomited anything because it goes into her mouth and she swallows it back up like an acid reflux. She does not have any skin issues, her skin is nice and I brush her coat at least every couple of days because she is in the house. She does take Rimadyl but on a need only basis. I was assuming that the whining was because she has hip displaysia and it causes her pain to be overweight (about 80 lbs). I have not noted any diarrhea or constipation but I know she is not normal when it comes to wanting to go to the bathroom. I have to take her and stand there for her to pee otherwise she will hold it. I have no way to know if she has a bladder infection because I am not sure how much water she is suppose to drink and if she drinks that much. I know she is seperated from her other long time companion, Rusty, our German Shorthair because of the newest dog. I am not sure if most of this is a nerousis and she is having mental problems. She will stare at me and cry and if I look back at her she stops crying, but if I turn my head she cries more. This whole behavior is strange. I know she must be hurting as well because I can hear her whine when I take her outside and she is by herself. She is not totally alone, we have two cats that hang out with her. I am not sure if she has eaten any of their poop but I would not put it past her.
Inspired works,

Thanks for all the additional information. It is helpful. The licking of everything is a sign of nausea and since she is also crying after eating, I would have to assume she has a stomach upset and pain. This could be caused by a food allergy, parasites, protozoan infections, and even a grown in the stomach. Dogs are also quick to continue activity that leads to attention from their owners.

You can try putting her on a very bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days. You might want to start feeding smaller meals more often which may help as well. I would definitely add a few spoonfuls of yogurt onto her food to add good bacteria to her stomach to help stop nausea. You should also have a stool sample examined by your vet for parasites and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia. You can read about these here:

You might also try some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

It should be given at least 30 minutes before feeding. I'm sure that anxiety and stress have contributed to her condition. You have been through a very trying ordeal and your dog has picked up on this and become anxious. Her dealing with another dog is also putting more stress on her as well. When you worry, she worries which just causes more upset and potential stomach issues.

If at all possible, you should try and be as relaxed as possible around her and try to not react every time she cries especially if you feel it may be strictly a bid for attention. If none of my suggestions seems to have an affect, you will need to have the vet take a look at her. He may want to use a scope and check out the stomach, but will definitely want to run bloodwork.

I hope this information is helpful to you.