Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can i give my dog tylenol or aleve for hind leg and spine pain

can i give my dog tylenol or aleve for hind leg and spine pain due to pourous bones and spine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Phyt James.

Tylenol { acetaminophen } is not used often in dogs these days there are much better alternatives for controlling fever and pain and there have been incidents reported of side effects and toxicity.

Your vet will be able to prescribe a much better prescription drug which will be safer and more suited for long term usage.

However on a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have advil, aleve, tylenol and motrin are any of these good until i can get to my vet
Hello again,

Aleve { Naproxen } with this drug the toxic level is very close to the therapeutic level in dogs, it is rarely recommended in this species. Dont use it.

Advil, Motrin, these contain ibuprofen and again I personally would not prescribe these for the same reasons as I would not prescribe tylenol.

All these drugs are classed as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and there have been very real problems with their usage in the dog. To be fair these problems would be related to overdosage or long term use but they would be best avoided.

As I said before aspirin on a short term basis at the correct dose rate would be your safest option until you can get to a vet.