Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Cornell DVM, small animal practice
13285822

My dog has thrown up several times today. Primary yellowish

My dog has thrown up several times today. Primary yellowish and liguid. Now its whitish and minimal. Her appetite is sluggish and she seems lethargic. Please advise.
DearCustomer

I am sorry to hear about your pup's health problem. A couple of questions, is it possible she got into anything, ie leftovers? How long ago was the vomiting (all at once, spread over several hours?) Has she eaten any of her normal food? Is she on any meds or have any health conditions I should know about? Thank you for any information you can provide,

Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The vomiting has happened over two days. She is not on any medication and she has been eating her normal food. Access to leftovers? Definitely not! Today she has thrown up twice in a two period and there are no health conditions. She was last seen by a vet prior to the summer and got an excellent bill of health. Please let me know if additional information is needed. Also, yesterday I gave her very small pieces of chicken we had for dinner and some pieces of banana. But she was throwing up prior to this. Thanks.

XXXXX XXXXX

Dear XXXXX,

Thanks for the additional information. It is great she couldn't have gotten into any leftovers. When was the last time you tried to feed her and what happened? What is her normal food? She is still acting pretty lethargic? And diarrhea?

Thank you,

Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She only eat two pieces out of her bowl and threw up shortly there after. She has been on the dry food (I forgot the name - but includes pieces of meat and vegetables) over three years and she's always finished her food. We serve her once a day and she hasn't had any diarrhea.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dr. Karen,

My wife just informed me that Grace had been playing with a light plastic orange colored ball and she chewed it up. Apparently, she may have consumed some of this material. Not sure if this provides some insight.

DearCustomer Thank you for the additional information, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I had to step out for a bit. For this issue, I think we can start conservatively but if there is any progression an immediate vet trip is warranted. There are a lot of different possibilities for what may be going on, some of the more common ones are the possibility of a foreign body which could be almost anything! Sometimes these will go through on their own, but sometimes they get caught. If after about three days she is still blah this could be an even higher risk. The clinical signs of this are usually vomiting, decreased appetite and depression or lethargy. The treatment for this is usually surgical if there has been an obstruction for this long. You can check out www.petplace.com for more information on this surgery. Before surgery she will need radiographs and blood work completed.   Hopefully, she doesn't have a foreign body and just has some GI upset. Maybe from eating something (although that doesn't sound like there has been too much of a chance for this) but we just can't know. This could have caused just a little stomach upset or something more severe like pancreatitis. Dogs with pancreatitis are usually very acutely very sick with a fever and vomiting and appear in pain. But if this is mild condition, we may not see them as severely as I am describing here. This would again require veterinary evaluation and blood work plus maybe other diagnostics to determine if this is the issue.   She could have some more in depth medical condition such as bacterial overgrowth with something like salmonella (again less likely) but can't be determined without veterinary evaluation. In the end, I can't tell you over the internet exactly what is going on, and several of these conditions need prompt veterinary care. For at home care, there is a traditional period of gut rest for about 12 hours which means she can have water (pedialyte unflavored is good as well) but no solids. After about 12 hours she can have a little plain white rice mixed with plain boiled no fat chicken. Feed her several small meals of this. After about 48 hours of this she can be started slowly back on her normal food, a tiny bit of normal food mixed with the rice and at each feeding more and more normal food.   Finally, she needs a little rest and relaxation. Keep her warm, monitor her for easy breathing, making sure her color stays pink (look at her gums) and that she is not showing any signs of acutely more pain, depression, bleeding, etc.   I hope this helps, best of luck to you and your pup, please let me know if there is any way I can be of further assistance, Dr. Karen If this information has been helpful, please click the “ACCEPT” button and provide feedback. If you need some more assistance or clarification, please click reply and I will do my best to help you.   My answer can serve as advice only. I am a licensed veterinarian, actively practicing, but since I have not physically examined your pup, I can not legally prescribe any medicines or diagnose your pet. Please contact your regular veterinarian if you have any worries about the further health of your pup.
Dear XXXXX,

I just answered, but didn't get the e-mail about this last post. It definately adds insight and suggests more highly to me that she has a foreign body. If she could have eaten those about two days ago, then this would be most consistent, and if she is throwing up from these balls, then it would probably be best to ahve her taken in and get some blood work and radiographs done to see if there is any indication they are in there. I am sorry to hear that, but glad to know that this is a possible cause. It is also possible that the pieces of plastic will go through on their own but causing a little bit of an issue going through (rough edges irritates inside of GI tract) which could be more of the gastroenteritis I described second.

I hope this helps, best of luck to you and your pup, please let me know if there is any way I can be of further assistance,

Dr. Karen

If this information has been helpful, please click the “ACCEPT” button and provide feedback. If you need some more assistance or clarification, please click reply and I will do my best to help you.

My answer can serve as advice only. I am a licensed veterinarian, actively practicing, but since I have not physically examined your pup, I can not legally prescribe any medicines or diagnose your pet. Please contact your regular veterinarian if you have any worries about the further health of your pup.