Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Can I give my dog Loperamide Hydrochloride oral solution for

Can I give my dog Loperamide Hydrochloride oral solution for diarrhea? She is a 8 yr. old cocker spanial, weighs 34 lbs., and has not responded to either Pepto Bismol, pumpkin, Lambert Kay Pet Pectillin. She was de-wormed on Nov. 17th. and has had varying degrees of wattery to currently oatmeal consistency stool since about Nov. 21. She has a lot of gas. Help!
You can give your dog loperamide for diarrhea. If you purchased the 2 mg tablets, she can have 1 tablet every 12 hours. If you got the liquid, she can have 2.5 ml every 12 hours. In addition, I would not feed her for about 12 hours, then feed her only small meals of something bland, like boiled chicken and white rice.

If that doesn't help or the diarrhea returns when you stop, you should take her back to your vet. I would be concerned that she might have something else going on, like a bacterial overgrowth, inflammation, other intestinal parasites, etc that won't resolve with just an anti-diarrheal medicine.

Good luck!
Dr. Scarlett