Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
12905457

my dog might be pregnant. She is leaking milk from her nipples.

Customer Question

my dog might be pregnant. She is leaking milk from her nipples. She goes through times when she pants and acts very uncomfortable and then lays down and goes to sleep calmly. Is this normal in pregnancy? She also vomited once tonight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 6 years ago.
Hi Kristen,

Both the restlessness and milk production would be very normal for a pregnant dog. I would make sure that she has a quiet dark place to have her litter if that time is near. Also try to avoid checking in on her too often. Your nervousness affects them and can slow labor. Also make sure that she is receiving a high quality puppy food as she will need the extra calories and nutrients for growing the puppies and producing milk once they are born.

How long ago was she bred?

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely,

Dr. Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there a way that I can tell how far along she is. I just don't want to go to bed and have her go into labor and be alone.
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 6 years ago.
If she is in labor, it sounds like she is in the early stages. This can last up to 24 hours, so you are better off getting some sleep. As well, they often prefer to be alone when giving birth. If you have a digital thermometer (and don't want to use it on yourself again), you can take her temperature. Often a dog's temperature will drop below 100 degrees F when labor starts. Why not set your alarm and check on her every few hours.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, Thank you. I sound so irresponsible but we actually found her a home when we had to rent a house for a year and they would not allow pets. We ran out of time. Anyway, we found her what I thought was a great home. She came back to us through the chip we had inserted and I never updated. That was the week before Halloween so I think she is only about half way if she got pregnant when she was out free but I have no way to tell. I noticed some changes in her body but I thought she was just losing weight due to her being overweight when we got her or due to the urinary tract infection she can't seem to shake. Tonight I saw the milk leaking and then she vomited and was sure it was pregnancy. Of course, no veterinarians are open tonight or tomorrow so thank you for your help. Just in case she is in labor, can you tell me what it means to keep the puppies separated so she won't suffocate them? I don't know how to do that. I have a kiddie pool in my garage and towels etc.
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 6 years ago.
Hi Kristen,

Mother dogs do occasionally sit on their pups and suffocate them. Ideally you would have a whelping box, a container for the pups and mom that has a ledge around the whole edge the the puppies can fit under, but mom can't, so that they are not pinched against the side of the box or wall by mom. It might be a bit late for you to procure one of these.

I don't want you to separate them completely from mom, because she needs to clean them, nurse them and keep them warm. Perhaps you could keep them in a very low cardboard box with lots of nice warm blankets next to mom when you are not around to keep an eye on her.