Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery
9480295

My 8-year-old Boston terrier has diarrhea and is vomiting.

My 8-year-old Boston terrier has diarrhea and is vomiting. Her coat is also very rough, as if there are bumps on the skin underneath. I took her to the vet, and she was given a shot for nausea and they scanned her. Her esophogus is OK, and there is no obstruction in the bowel. They also gave her Flagel and something in liquid form, but I'm not sure what it is. She has had a bowel movement since coming home that was relatively normal, but she's lethargic, the whites of her eyes are red, and she's shivering, which is very rare for her. I went out with a flashlight in the dark to look at the stool, and there were two very small slug-like worms on it. Could these actually be baby slugs, or are they a form of canine parasite. I'm very worried. She did eat all of her dinner when she got home two hours ago and hasn't thrown up yet. We spent $457 at the vet's but we didn't get a lot of answers. Can you help, please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

I'm sorry your dog is not feeling well.

Was there bloodwork done, do you know what tests, and what the results were?

It is a good sign that she ate and hasn't vomited yet, if she gets through the night without vomiting, that would be even better.

You mention a scan? was this ultrasound? were x-rays taken?

did you hear words like gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or colitis?

Is the diarrhea frequent (every 2-3 hours), small amount, straining, blood or mucus

OR

Only 2-3 times in 24 hours, no straining, large amounts, no blood or mucus?

can you take her rectal temperature? a plastic digital thermometer works well and is fairly quick.

I look forward to your response

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Deb,

I think the scan was an x-ray, as I don't think this clinic has the capability to do ultrasounds. About a year ago, they referred us to another vet so an ultrasound could be done on our other Boston terrier. I know they did blood work, but I don't know the results or don't recall. I think they said everything looked OK, though. They did note that there was no blockage and there were no problems with her esophagus. I don't recall hearing the words colitis, pancreatitis, etc., but I have noted that the liquid medication they prescribed is called Panacur, I believe, and she's to have 6 cc's every 24 hours. She only has the diarrhea three or four times a day. There is some straining, but I'm not sure of blood or mucus, due to where she has done this outside, many times in the dark. She has not had any diarrhea accidents in the house, believe it or not, although she has vomited inside numerous times. I don't have a plastic digital thermometer.

Thanks. -- Mike Lampros

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

It sounds like the bloodwork was okay- Most bloodwork would look at liver and kidney function, red and white blood cells, electrolytes, glucose levels and other important values. It is difficult to tell very much about the esophagus with only an x=ray. The diarrhea is not characteristic of colitis. The panacur is a dewormer, maybe they looked at a stool sample and found worms? I cannot think of a common parasite that would come out of the rectum looking like a slug, maybe the panacur is just for some possible, unidentified parasites,

The hair coat can just be an indication of overall health and if it looks poor it may be just another sign that there is a problem, it could be some sort of bacterial rash but hard to tell without seeing it,

Some other things to think about

Addisons disease, inflammatory bowel disease, some other primary intestinal problem-you can ask your veterinarian about these when you take her in for a recheck.

Monitor her for tonight and hopefully there will be no more vomiting. Good luck tomorrow.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She hasn't vomited since she ate about four hours ago. I put her to bed, but she did not have a bowel movement, as much as I tried to get her to go. She had one not too long after eating. The shivering has started to subside. The vet wants us to take her in tomorrow for a barium study. Would you think this is necessary? Frankly, after spending $457 there today, we're not inclined to do that.

Thanks again. -- Mike Lampros

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.
If she hasn't vomited again, it would be reasonable to hold offon the barium study. If she eats even a small meal in the morning and keeps that down, even more reason to hold off on barium. Call your vet in the morning and explain how she has eaten and not vomited and you would like to wait on further tests for now
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.
How did your dog do overnight? Did you have to bring her back to the vet?
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery