Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My Yorkie has just had blood work showing high liver enzymes.

Customer Question

My Yorkie has just had blood work showing high liver enzymes. The vet has put her on Denamarin and Ursidol. I read online that Denamarin should not be split but the vet told me to split the pill if I wanted to. Holly only weighs 4 lbs. She also didn't tell me that Ursidol should be taken with food. Should I follow her instructions or what I've read on the Internet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 7 years ago.

I would recommend following the directions of your vet. It is not bad to split the Denamarin pill. Sometimes it is recommended not to if it is a capsule because you may not get exactly the right dose but this drug is rather safe so i would listen to your vet. I know we split them and have not had any problems with it. I wish you the best of luck with your girl. But i think you are on a good start.