Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

My french bulldog has been drooling in huge amount for about

Customer Question

My french bulldog has been drooling in huge amount for about 2 days. She has also been drinking a lot of water to recharge her drooling. She has some loose stool, but also small pieces of harder stool that appear to have some hair in it. I'm afraid she has some sort of obstruction. Can this cause drooling, because her stomach hurts? She is eating and hasn't vomited"
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer
Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your Frenchie but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

If you wipe the drool with a white tissue or paper towel, can you see if there is any colour to it?

Does your dog like to chew sticks, or catch sticks that are thrown?

Does she hesitate before eating, or gulp it right down? Is it dry or soft food?

Fiona
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did you get my reply? This is the first time I've used this service and I'm not sure how it works.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
No... I didn't! Sorry! I got you asking if I got your reply.. but not the actual reply.

Could you send it again?

I'm sorry I can't help you much with how it works as I have not seen it from the customer side since there were some recent upgrades last week.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, It's not like stings of drool, but is she lays her head down the surface is totally sopped. She likes to chew on several "hoof" chews. I have been picking up any small pieces just so she doesn't swallow them. She isn't shy about eating and she eats hard Wysong food.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
OK! Great, thanks for that additional information!

I am going to go work on your answer and will be back in about 15min...
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
Hi again,

You have described to me a 5 yr old female French Bulldog who has been drooling copiously for the last 2 days. Excess drooling is called PTYALISM.

One of the issues with this, is that the dog does indeed need to drink more in order to stay hydrated! In an average sized Frenchie of about 20lbs, her fluid requirements are about 1- 2 cups of water daily.

Add to that what she is losing in drool, and your girl needs about 2-3 cups of water a day just to maintain her hydration. So, do make sure she has lots of water available!

With what you are describing with your Frenchie drooling profusely, there are a number of possibilities for what may be going on.

1. A foreign body -

Your dog could have something like a grass awn or a sharp sliver of cow hoof penetrating the tissues in her mouth. Grass awns are notorious for getting stuck in tissues as they are barbed and tend to migrate upwards. And for hoof chewers, my bet would be that she has a cut or a foreign body in her soft palate at the back of her mouth.

2. A tooth root abscess -

Teeth have very long roots that extend close to the nasal sinuses. With a tooth root abscess, the infection can actually get into surrounding muscles and tissues and cause pain and with infection there can be ptyalism.

A tooth root abscess is often caused by a fractured tooth, with a slab fracture of the carnassial (big molar at the back) being the most common one I have seen. If your dog will let you look around in there, you may be able to find it. You have to really lift that top lip up and stretch it back to see all the teeth at the back. This may be best done by a vet as your dog may not be wanting a dental exam at the moment!

3. Masticatory Muscle Myositis (MMM) is another possibility.

With this condition, the muscles in the jaw become very inflamed, making it painful to open the jaw. It is caused by the dog's own immune system attacking the muscles.

Here is more about it:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/masticatory-muscle-myositis/page1.aspx

This seems unlikely since she has no problem opening her mouth to eat her dry food.

If your dog came in to my clinic, I would start with checking her temperature and doing a dental examination. Depending on what I found, I would consider starting her on anti-inflammatory/pain killer and antibiotics and seeing how she responded.

If she did not improve, my next step would be to give a very light anesthetic in order to do a retropharyngeal exam and take some dental x-rays and take a biopsy of the chewing muscles if I were concerned about MMM.

Of all the possibilities, the thing that would be at the top of my list would be a scratch or foreign body as she is a hoof chewer. In the dozens of times I have seen this problem, 90% of the time this is what I have found! I would also be concerned about a foreign body if you live in an area where foxtails grow (a type of barbed grass awn that is a real problem in California).

Here is more about ptyalism:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-in-dogs/page1.aspx

So, if this persists into tomorrow, then I would suggest you make an appointment to see your veterinarian. The last thing you want is to be stuck with seeing an emergency veterinarian over Thanksgiving!

If you feel that this has been helpful, please hit the "ACCEPT" button. If you need further information, I would be happy to provide it.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Good luck!
Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much, you have eased my fears of a bowel obstruction. I will do a very thorough mouth/dental exam when I get home tonight. Thank goodness we don't live in an area with foxtails. They're awful and get EVERYWHERE
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.
You are so welcome!

Yes, my 2 years in California was a foxtail education, that is for sure! We are lucky here in Ontario that the 6 months of snow and freezing temperatures prevents them from invading here!

Fiona