Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

my dog has blood in her urine and also diahrea she is also

my dog has blood in her urine and also diahrea she is also draging her rear on the rug and snow
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 8 years ago.
Hi
We have three different signs here but they may very well all be related.
The blood in the urine most likely is caused by cystitis (bladder infection). Cystitis is particularly common in middle-aged female dogs and usually the patient will not be unwell in other ways, although they will usually be needing to pass urine more often than normal. Cystitis is usually caused by bacteria and requires antibiotics to clear it up. Blood in the urine can also be from a kidney problem...either trauma (eg road accident) or infection. Generally if the kidney is the source the dog will been unwell or in pain.
Now sometimes the cystitis stresses the patient and a secondary diarrhea occurs. This could be the case. Alternatively it is possible that the diarrhea has contaminated the area surrounding the vulva and this contamination has allowed bacteria to enter the urinary tract and cause the cystitis. She may well be dragging her rear end around (scooting) because of a scald (dermatitis) caused by the urine and diarrhea irritating the area. Urine in dogs with cystitis is more alkaline than normal and can cause a scald. Similarly so can diarrhea.
So all of this may be linked. She needs to be seen by a vet who will establish the cause of the blood in the urine and treat it accordingly. The vet will check her rear end to establish the reason for the scooting. If it is a rash then an anti-inflammatory cream may be prescribed. The vet may also check her anal sacs, another common reason for scooting. The diarrhea can also be treated at that visit.
I would not consider this an emergency but I think you should see a vet soon as your dog will be in some discomfort. She should be provided with relief quite quickly.
I hope I've been of help.
Best regards, Peter