LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

Our little Yorkie has a dime-sized absess on his paw thats

Our little Yorkie has a dime-sized absess on his paw that's hurting him. What can we do to ease his pain until we can get to the vet?

If it is an abscess, warm wet compresses will help and may help it drain.

How do you know it's an abscess? Is it draining or painful and soft, or ....?

You could also give him a baby/heartsmart 81 mg aspirin if he weighs about 10 pounds or 1/2 a tab if he is closer to 5 pounds. The generally suggested dose is 5-15 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. This can be repeated twice a day. The most common side effect is vomiting and this often occurs in the same range as the effective dose. If he starts, cut the dose in half or stop.

Do not use Tylenol, Alleve, Motrin/Advil or other OTC pain meds.

Let me know if you have follow up questions. I will be online for a bit longer and then go offline for the night. I'm on the east coast of US.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a soft squishy blister that is pinkish redish and he won't stop licking it, he just got out of the bath, that's when it started hurting him. We put witch hazel on it as there was blood leaking from somewhere on his foot, then upon inspection was the absess, unfortunately we tried to pop it,, not a good idea very painful wont do that again...but still hurting him....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for your help...we'll try that! Remy thanks you too

Witch hazel may sting a bit. If you have triple antibiotic or neosporin ointment, a bit of that might help.

Hopefully, the warm packs and aspirin will make him feel better.