LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
11484156

mini schnauzer: front paw..little weight..licking..kennel

My mini shnauzer has been limping due to a problem with her R front paw/leg. She is able to put a little weight on it but is licking it contstantly. She was fine when I put her in the kennel but when I took her out I noticed her limping. It is tender to the touch and continues to favor it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 6 years ago.

Licking is a common reaction to pain.

Can you identify what part of the paw is tender? Gently press on then flex and extend each toes individually. You can press on the paw pads and examine the bottom of her foot for cuts. Identifying the sore area will help direct treatment to that area.

Cold packing is one of the best ways to treat pain and inflammation. Use a wet towel and ice on the sore area for 10- 15 minutes. This can be repeated every hour while you are up.

Aspirin is a good drug for pain control in dogs. You want to use aspirin, not Tylenol, Alleve, Motrin or other OTC pain medications. The usual dose is 5-15 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. This is one baby aspirin for an 8 pound dog and 2 baby aspirin or 1/2 an adult 325 mg aspirin for a 16 pound dog. Most mini schnauzers are 15-20 pounds.

The most common side effect is vomiting and it is often seen at fairly low doses. If she vomits, decrease the dose.

Keep her as quiet as possible. She should be comfortable in her kennel or sleeping near one of her people.

If the lameness is still present on Monday a vet visit may be indicated. Your vet will have better pain meds also.

Let me know if you have followup questions.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks as though she is licking the top mostly and it is quite warm. I will try the compresses. I don't have anything except for advil but I will not use that. She seems more aggitated tonight than she was yesterday. She is still running around but still favors her limb most of the time.Is there anything else holistically I can do for her comfort tonight besides the compresses?
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 6 years ago.

Cold is good at reducing pain and may be your best bet. I've given some other drugs and dosing below in case you have them. You can get aspirin at convenience stores and many gas stations that are open late. If you know your neighbors, you might be able to borrow a tab.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and also makes dogs sleepy. It helps reduce itching and helps dogs sleep, which keeps them from licking. the dose is 1-2 mg/lb. Many people keep this on hand. If you have it, your pup would get about 25 mg. or 50 mg if she is on the large size and weighs 25 lbs. It comes in 25 mg and 50 mg sizes,but often people have the 50 mg size, which is hard to split and the drug is not evenly distributed throughout the pill.. If you have it and want to try splitting it, you should crush the tab or break the capsule and use half of the power.

Bitter apple is a taste deterrent for pets that some people have on hand. It helps prevent licking and the alcohol helps stop itching.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is not having the cold compresses AT ALL. I have given her a half of a benadryl and I'l take her to bed soon. Thank you for your help and I will be sure to take her to the vet Monday!Are there any side effects that I should be aware of with the benadryl?
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 6 years ago.

That's too bad that she doesn't like the cold.

Possible side effects of benadryl are drowsiness (which is the effect we are looking for) and rarely decreased appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.

I hope she feels better soon.