Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog has an open sore on her anus next to the openning. The

My dog has an open sore on her anus next to the openning. The sore is bleeding and it appears to be difficult for her to have a bowel movement. What could this be and what could cause it? How should I care for the wound and keep her from licking it?

Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jennisam,
The most likely thing is that one of her anal glands got infected, and the pressure of the infection caused it to rupture open. These can be very painful, and would hurt her when she tries to have a bowel movement.

Most of these dogs need antibiotics, so you should take her to a vet when they open. In the meantime, you can give her something for pain. I would give a 1/4 to 1/2 baby aspirin once or twice daily, with food to prevent it upsetting her stomach. You can also try getting her to soak in warm water, or apply a warm compress to the area, to draw the infection. Hope this helps, Rebecca