Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Is minocycline used used to treat dogs for bladder/kidney

Is minocycline used used to treat dogs for bladder/kidney infections?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer
   It is not a commonly used antibiotic in veterinary medicine, except in some of those cases where we are dealing with a "superbug" that is resistant to most common antibiotics. It is in the tetracycline group, which are not usually the first choice antibiotics for urinary infections.

A bladder or kidney infection might result in urine with a bloody tinge to it, but not in actual "frank" blood on the hind legs. Most dogs with bladder infections are drinking more than usual, and straining to urinate, and producing small amounts of urine when they go. With kidney infections, they are often pretty sick, not eating, etc. If the blood is coming from the vagina, I would look for the source of the bleeding, rather than use antibiotics right off the bat. Hope this answers your question. Rebecca
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, since I can't tell what the source is I won't give her any meds. I don't know what else to do for her. I don't want her to get extremely ill because I have no money to take her to the vet. She is not drinking any more than usual, has no fever or other symptoms other than the bloody discharge.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 years ago.
If I were seeing her, I would look up the vagina, to try to tell if the discharge is from the vagina, or from the bladder. If it is vaginal, or if the vulva area looks red or swollen or irritated, you could put a combination of Neosporin triple antibiotic, along with a little Cortaid cream on or around the vulva and the opening to the vagina. This will certainly do no harm, and might help if she just has a little vaginitis. I would stay away from antibiotics, especially if she is not acting sick in any way. Good luck, Rebecca