LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

My 8 pound chihuahua has been diagnosed with gastroenteritis.

My 8 pound chihuahua has been diagnosed with gastroenteritis. She is improving to the point she's ready for food. I personally experienced intestinal problems in the past and was told to avoid eating foods containing fat. I ate a peanut butter sandwich and had to go to the emergency room and hospitalized with a stomach pump. I read an article in Wikipedia that encourages fat in their diet.

My question, should I avoid foods containing fat? She's suffered enough and I wish to avoid additional pain and suffering that could result from an improper diet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

In general, dogs metabolize fat well. However, you have a sick dog who needs a bland diet. Chicken and rice, and eggs and rice are commonly used diets. You can make these or purchase canned food. You can use her normal food.

Starting with small portions is more important than the actual diet. Feeding 1/8 of what is normally given for a first meal works well. If she does not vomit or have diarrhea repeat that in about 2 hours. Increase to 1/4 a normal serving in another 6 hours. Give about half a normal serving at her next scheduled feeding and return to normal at the meal after that. In general, dogs should normally be fed 2 times a day and some of the toy breeds need more frequent feedings that that. The amount is adjusted and divided between the meals to maintain a healthy weight.

ChicXXXXX XXXXXver is not the best option. What are you preparing for her? What do you normally feed? How often is she normally fed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Normally she eats Iam's for over weight dogs or Iam's Senior dry food. She loves table scrapes and I do let her have some, but I try to make sure it's after she has eaten her dry food.

I purchased baby food (carrots, squash, etc) which I planned to sprinkle with garlic powder. I'm glad you mentioned rice because I forgot about it so i can add that. She loves chicXXXXX XXXXXver which i would boil and mash into the mixture.

She weighs 8 pounds because she loves to eat and although I am not overweight, I'm guilty of over indulging her. I eat to live, she lives to eat.

I offered her angel food cake which she has eaten. I'm pleased she has an appetite and would continue to feed her in small portions that you recommend.

As to how often she is fed, that's hard to say. I use her dry food as rewards throughout the day and then allow her one meal at night.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

Your system of rewards and one meal works as split meals. I would add some Iams and skip the table scraps, chicXXXXX XXXXXver (fat) and angel food (sugar) until she is back to normal for at least 3 days. The baby food is fine with or without some garlic powder. Some lean meat or eggs would be fine instead of the Iams also.

I wish you and your girl the best for the holidays.....she should avoid too many t-day scraps. Skin is high fat and would be good to skip or minimize.