LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
11484156

miniature poodle: adopted..kennel..vet immediately..allergic reaction

we just adopted a miniture poddle who has been abondoned and left in a kennel for 6 months. when i was bale to bring her home i took her to the vet immediately to have a welllness check and her shots. she had a reaction to the shots and took her back to get doggy benydryl because she had an allergic reaction. Our vet said it wwould be a few days before she was feeling better. This was just Tuesday when we brought her home. she was fine, sleeping a lot getting used to her surroundings and yesterday she just stop drinking water and eating. she has not really eatin but she is small. I bought her a new bed yesterday and she stayed there all night, not wanting to move or go outside, but the not having water bothers me. could she be depressed? How do i know when this is a seroius sitsuation?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 6 years ago.

You should take her back to the vet if it is possible.

Not eating and drinking is not normal. It is common with many problems including infection. Being in a new and strange place can cause some dogs to not eat, but most dogs that have been in a shelter/kennel have learned to eat in new situations.Dogs sometimes don't eat for several days after being adopted, but they usually continue to drink.

You may be able to take her temperature using a human thermometer. Lubricate the end and put it in her rectum using gentle pressure to get it in 1-2 inches. Remove it after a minute. Normal temperature for dogs is 101 - 102.5. 103 is a low grade fever and 104-106 is the common range for dog fevers. Look at her gums. They should be pink, not white, blue or bright red. Press on the gum behind an upper canine tooth. It will blanch white with the pressure and be white when you first remove your finger. It should return to pink in 2 seconds or less. If it takes more than 3 seconds, it indicates poor circulation, which can be caused by dehydration or heart problems. If her temperature, gum color and capillary refill time are normal, you can probably wait until regular vet hours to have her seen.

You should be able to carry her outside. Put her down where she can urinate and defecate if she needs to. Give her some time to do this then take her back inside.

Take water to her and encourage her to drink by putting your finger in the water and then in her mouth. You can use an eyedropper or syringe without a needle to squirt small amounts of water into her mouth. You can do the same with dog food or small amounts of human food (chicken, beef, fish, etc.) to get her started.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.