LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

I accidentally gave my dog 2 blood pressure pills instead of

Customer Question

I accidentally gave my dog 2 blood pressure pills instead of antibiotics.. will he be hurt??
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

I need more information to answer your questions.

What is the brand name or generic name of the blood pressure pill?

What is the dose of the pill (mg)?

How long ago did he eat the pills?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The pills are Enalapril Maleate 5 mg per pill
The dosage is normally one per day for my husband
He ate them about 15 mins ago.
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

Enalapril is used in dogs. The usual dose is 0.25mg/lb of body weight. A 10 mg dose (2 - 5 mg pills) would be a normal dose for a 40 pound dog. If your dog is in that weight range, it should be safe, but you should keep him quiet for the day (no playing, running or long walks).

ost pitbulls are in that weight range. Do you know how much your dog weights.

I will follow up shortly with info on inducing vomiting with either hydrogen peroxide or salt.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he weighs 50 pounds. I will keep an eye on him thank you very much.
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

The most readily available methods to induce vomiting at home are:

• Hydrogen peroxide (3% solution). This is the strength usually used for skin (not bleaching hair). Dose - 1 ml/lb (there are 5 ml in a teaspoon and 15 ml in a tablespoon). Vomiting occurs within 10 minutes.
  • Table salt. Dose - 1-3 teaspoons for small or young dogs, 1 Tablespoon for large dogs. Mix with 1-2 Tablespoons of butter. Most dogs will eat this, but if not, it can be put in the mouth like a pill and the mouth held until the dog swallows. Offer the dog water and let it drink as much as it wants. Vomiting occurs in 5-10 minutes.
  • Both methods can be repeated once. Maximum of 2 treatments about 15 minutes apart. The alternative method can be used when one doesn't work.

Side effects are rarely seen with normal dose levels. Rare side effects include low blood pressure, decreased appetitive, vomiting and diarrhea.

Even with excessive dosing, toxic effects are rare. None were reported in dogs given 36 times the recommended dose.

Your plan to keep an eye on him should be sufficient. There is not a need to induce vomiting.