Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What can I do to help my yorkie have a bowel movement

MY yorkie 2 years old hasn't had a bowel movement in 4 days and usually goes every day.She's real larthargic, but still is eatting.
What can I do to help her have a bowel movement?
Thanks for the question Mrs Guiles.

In direct answer to your question : You can use oral remedies such as liquid paraffin or lactulose, these are over the counter products available from your chemist or pharmacy. The dose rate would be on a pro rata basis between the human dose on the product label and your dog's weight.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin. Yes canned pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie filling) this is a good stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. In your case you could try two teaspoons twice a day.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process, it would respond to the above treatment and should be no problem.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. For this reason you should continue to consult your vet if the problem persists or other symptoms appear.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal. If I have answered this question to your satisfaction please click on the accept button as this is the only way I get paid for my work.

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your information, one more question--How long can she go without a bowel movement?
Hello again,

Glad to chat more with you ...

I have known them go for up to a week and suffer no ill effects ...

Regards,

Scott