Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

My dog ingested A&D ointment. Is this toxic for dogs

Customer Question

My dog ingested A&D ointment. Is this toxic for dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

If the A&D you used, contained Zinc Oxide within the ingredients, this is toxic for dogs, and due to his symptoms and possible ingestion of this non-food item, it would be a good idea to have him evaluated by the vet ASAP. If your regular vet is closed now, bring him to the closest ER vet center for treatment.

www.petplace.com/dogs/zinc-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If the A&D was not white and did not include zinc, but looked like Vaseline, it's primary active ingredient is white petrolatum, which is not toxic, but the ointment does contain cod liver oil (Vitamin A can be toxic in large doses, as well) and lanolin. This will cause intestinal upset and most likely, loose stools. However, if your dog is already not feeling well, it would be best to have a vet check him out and treat him, now.

I hope all will be well!

Cher