How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20956
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested A&D ointment. Is this toxic for dogs

Customer Question

My dog ingested A&D ointment. Is this toxic for dogs?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello,

If the A&D you used, contained Zinc Oxide within the ingredients, this is toxic for dogs, and due to his symptoms and possible ingestion of this non-food item, it would be a good idea to have him evaluated by the vet ASAP. If your regular vet is closed now, bring him to the closest ER vet center for treatment.

www.petplace.com/dogs/zinc-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If the A&D was not white and did not include zinc, but looked like Vaseline, it's primary active ingredient is white petrolatum, which is not toxic, but the ointment does contain cod liver oil (Vitamin A can be toxic in large doses, as well) and lanolin. This will cause intestinal upset and most likely, loose stools. However, if your dog is already not feeling well, it would be best to have a vet check him out and treat him, now.

I hope all will be well!

Cher