Dr. LeighMP
Dr. LeighMP, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian for 14 years

how can you tell if your dog is having a seizure

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. LeighMP replied 7 years ago.

Seizures in dogs can vary from very mild focal seizures to severe grand mal seizure. The most common signs associated with seizures are paddling of their legs (swimming), dilated pupils, loss of consciousness, stiffness, involuntary urinations and defecations, shanking,and muscle twitching. Seizures can be secondary to low glucose, infections, toxins, liver disease, inflammation, but most commonly (especially in a young dog) they are idiopathic. Idiopathic epilepsy means that there is no know cause for the seizure. If your dog did have a seizure then it would be a good idea to have an examination done by your vet with some routine blood work to rule out possible causes. If all the blood work is normal then more then likely she has idiopathic epilepsy and may require anticonvulsants at some point depending on the frequency of her seizures. There is no know cure for idiopathic epilepsy as we just try to decrease the frequency of seizures with medications. Below is a website that might be helpful.

please let me now if you have additional questions.

If you found my answer helpful please click accept so I receive credit.