Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

Our one dog, an older beagle, has a very red belly and legs.

Our one dog, an older beagle, has a very red belly and legs. She scratches constantly. What is it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 8 years ago.

Hello, in order to better assist you I would like to ask a few questions so that I can tailor an answer to your needs.

Is there any scabby skin or flaking of the skin the the red areas? Is there any loss of hair at all? Are there any bumps or rash areas on the red skin? Is she an outdoor or indoor dog? Is she on flea and or heartworm prevention? What type of food is she on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes her skin is scabby and there is some loss of hair. Her under belly is very red and rashy. She is indoors a lot but can go outside whenever she wants. She is not currently on any flea or heartworm medications.She eats dry Beneful and various canned foods.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

There are a few things that could be going on with your baby at this point. She could have allergies which could be caused by the food that she eating or the environment in which she lives. The allergies could be caused by the food that she is eating in that Beneful and may grocery store food contain a lot of corn and fillers in them which are some of the number one causes for food allergies. The environment could be anything form grass to laundry detergent or even cleaning supplies that you use in the house. If you notice that she is more prone to outbreaks during certain months or seasons then the allergy could be caused by pollen or something like that. If is is a constant thing then it could be caused by something that she is in contact with all the time or exposed to on a daily basis. Since she is not on any flea medication right now she may have an issue with flea allergies as well. Some dogs don't need to be infested with fleas in order to have a reaction to them. A lot of dogs will become itchy and uncomfortable form just one bite of a flea or tick. I would recommend placing her on a flea medication year round as some dogs benefit from that more than anything.

I would also like to suggest that this could be a problem with mites or other very tiny microscopic parasites that could be living on the skin as well. I would suggest talking to your vet about a skin scrape to rule out these little things as a possible cause as well.

Another possible cause of this condition could be form a malfunctioning Thyroid. The thyroid gland can cause all sorts of skin issues if it is not functioning properly. I would suggest that you vet run a blood test to determine if the thyroid is functioning properly. If it is not then a simple daily dose of a thyroid medication can help cure the problem and stop the itching and redness and help the hair grow back. Given your babies age it is a good idea to have a full panel of blood work don on her to make sure that there is nothing going on inside of her with her internal organs and so forth that could be causing some of the issues that you are seeing. As dogs age they can end up with a host of issues all caused by mis functioning parts of the body. These mis functions are not always seen by the naked eye on exam so that is why blood work is required.

I hope some of this will help you out but if you need anything else be sure to let me know. I am sending a few links to some information as well on allergies, thyroid issues etc for you to look at as well.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/dog-hypo.htm

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/thyroid.html

http://www.thelittlefoxes.net/

http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=2+1587