LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
11484156

dog: rimadyl, 75 mg..agonizing pain, whimpering and whining and crying

Customer Question

Our dog has injured her knee rather badly and the vet sent her home with Rimadyl, 75 mg, half tablet twice per day. The dog is still in agonizing pain, whimpering and whining and crying and screaming all day and night. It's awful! The vet said that there was nothing that we could do about it, just to wait it out, which seems rather inhumane to me to let her suffer like this. Anyways, I was off at the gym when my boyfriend gave her a half an Aleve, 220 mg. I know (he didnt) that dogs shouldnt be given Aleve, or more otc painkillers for people. How much danger is she in, considering she got about 110 mg Aleve, along with another NSAID, Rimadyl, 37.5 mg? Do I need to rush her off to the vet? Also, what can we do for her pain? She's in agony!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 6 years ago.

If you are able to rush her off to the vet, they should be able to give treatment that would reduce the side effects. They o=(or you) could call the Animal Poison Control Center for specifics on toxic dose, drug interaction and treatment. Phone(NNN) NNN-NNNNand there is a fee.

The normal Rimadyl dose is 2 mg/day and it can be divided. A 75 mg tab is the daily dose for a 35-40 pound dog. How much does your girl weigh?

Aleve is quite toxic in dogs and the toxic dose is not much higher than what could be used for treatment. 1-5 mg/pound causes gastric ulcers and more than 5 mg/pound may cause kidney failure. The 220 mg dose of Aleve could cause gastric ulcers and possibly kidney failure in a 35-40 pound dog. The risk is lower if only one dose is given than if it is given repeatedly.

The side effects of Aleve may occur at a lower dose because she is also getting another similar drug.

Treatment for the Aleve would include inducing vomiting if it is done shortly after she ate the pill. If it has been more than an hour, the drug has been absorbed. Activated charcoal for several days can help adsorb drug that is excreted in bile.

Omeprazone (Prilosec) comes as a 20 mg OTC delayed release capsule and can be used to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers. Famotide (Pepsid) is another option.

IV fluids could help protect the kidneys.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She weighs 32 pounds, and only half of the 220 tablet was given.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 6 years ago.

Therapeutic dose of Aleve in dogs is 2 mg/pound every other day. The 110 dose is a risk for gastric ulcers and renal failure risk is not high. The non-steroidal drugs are additive and I do not have numbers for that risk.

If getting to an emergency vet is not a relatively easy option, start her on omeprazole or famotide to protect her stomach and call your vet in the morning.

Do you have a diagnosis for the knee injury? Have x-rays been done? If the injury was trauma has the rest of her leg been checked?

Dogs are susceptible to cruciate ligament rupture, which are very painful at first. Fractures are another common injury. The stifle/knee is very hard to bandage. Bandaging usually hurts more than helps decrease pain. Cold packing does help reduce inflammation. Ice in a wet towel for 15-20 minutes repeated every hour for example.

Restricting activity helps minimize pain by reducing movement. If she is crate trained, put her in her crate with good padding under her and something to do (toy, chew toy) if she is interested.

Tramadol is a narcotic agonist that is commonly used for major pain. It can be used in addition to non-steroidals. The nodes tend to enlarge fairly rapidly. Development in the last 2 days does not really help limit the differential. The top of the list are generally the most common causes of swollen nodes and the last part of the list the less common causes. Fentanyl patches are also used for pain in animals. Both of these you'd need to get from a vet.

LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry i took so long to accept. take care and thank you